Thursday, December 1, 2016

Chyue/Life history interview/Thursday 1-3pm

Chyue/Life history interview/Thursday 1-3pm

     Everyone has an admired person or hero in their entire life. I chose to interview someone who is very close to me and have looked up to all my life; my mother. She is my hero for me in my entire life. But I couldn't have a chance to meet with her at outside to interview. We have been apart each other over 2 years. Now I am in Korea and she lives in Myanmar.
      I rang her to interview last week at midnight.  She picked up my call as soon as I rang and asked me "What's wrong?", "Is there any problems,my dear?" with her soften voice. I said, "I'm fine and don't worry." and I said the reason I phoned you is "I'm going to interview you." She was silent for a while and I heard her sobbing. I asked, "Are you crying?"  and she said, "No" and "what do you want to ask me?". Then I said, "Mom, I have an assignment to interview one of our family. I'm going to write about you." She asked, "What do you want to interview me?"
     I asked her to talk about her childhood.  My mother was born in 1964, in the region of Dawae in Myanmar. Her childhood was not too complicated. She is multiculture family because my grandmom is Chinese and grandpa is Myanamar. She enjoyed  her childhood life happily. Unfortunately, she had dilemma when she got married. Both family's living style are not matched. They alway had lots of conflicts between two families.
   The worst thing is my father who can't understand my mother's mind. He always blamed to my mother when they were quarreling. She gave up her dream to be a successful entrepreneur because my father's family side is old-school and they didn't allow her to work at outside.  She had to do housework and raise up babies till she had last pregnant by my youngest brother. She said, "she was so tired on that time and she never want to go back that moment. I know how she is so tired until now. My father is a nice man and he is also really tired of his life but my mom is more tired than him. She said, "We lived in poor and encountered lots of difficulties. I don't want to talk more about how we were tired." She said,"Don't think about the past, look at your present if you want to success in the future. "
    She said, "You should try hard and never give up your life like me.Now, you're in Foreign and you will have a good chance to come true or success your dream." I wanted to ask more questions to my mom but she said, "It's too late to sleep. You should go to bed now." However, My mom is a gorgerous and smart person who always supports me.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you gave the description about your mother in a paragraph, but not a direct quotation. I think it made your essay much more clear in terms of descriptive details about your mother's life.

    However, I could not understand your fourth paragraph clearly. I think there are minor typos which made it not sound like what it is supposed to sound like.

    I thought that the most important idea that emerged from the interview was the fact that your mother led a very difficult life, especially in the condition where she had to live against the family standards and values. I could not really find a thesis statement, but I thought that you could develop this to make a thesis. So maybe the last two sentences of the third paragraph?

    I personally really liked this quote:
    "You should try hard and never give up your life like me.Now, you're in Foreign and you will have a good chance to come true or success your dream."

    I could really feel the love that your mother had for you, and how she wished the best for you.

    Quotation wise, I think it will be much better actually if you had more direct quotations and details from the interview with your mother. Maybe add more quotations and questions on the part where your mother talks about the family and her wishes to work?

    I think your essay will be even better with more details, including quotes from your mother. Maybe describe her voice? Loved your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you perfectly captured the essence of what a mother is. Small things such as her asking if anything was wrong as soon as she picked up or her talking about her hardships. It reminded me a lot about my mother. As i was reading your interview it almost felt as though i was talking to my mother. I think this was good because it then becomes easier to conjure up the emotions that you probably felt during the interview.

    When you mentioned that you could hear your mother sobbing. I could guess why she would but perhaps you could have explained it because I wasn't entirely sure.

    The most important idea that i could derive from the interview is that in the end mothers are also people. As children we look up to them and expect them to be strong but we don't really know who they are as people. It is only when we grow up and develop ourselves enough to start understanding an inkling of what our parents lives must have been like. Also, in a way parents wish their children will get everything that parents were unable to get.

    "What's wrong?" this is my favorite quote from your essay. It's so simple and almost seems unimportant but i felt that it holds the definition of what a mother is and the unconditional love she has.

    I think you had enough quotations but perhaps you could have distinguished direct and indirect quotations. Also, to further improve this essay, you could space your essay better. Especially when it comes to quotations.

    ReplyDelete