Thursday, December 1, 2016

Lee Ji Won/ Topical Interview First Draft/ Thursday 1-3pm

Change from The Bottom

 

Tens of thousands of Koreans are protesting in central Seoul calling President Park Geun-hye to step down for several weeks. Being in tumultuous period, people are worried about the future of Korea. The author of What is History? Edward Hallett Carr said, "The past is intelligible to us only in light of the present; and we can fully understand the present only in light of the past." I also believe that it is meaningful to know the spirit of the past and learn how to overcome the difficulty of the present generation from the past, especially in this hard time. Fortunately, I had an opportunity to interview my mom who experienced the 5.18 Gwangju Democratization Movement and the 6.10 Democracy Movement and could realize that Korea should seek change from the bottom by our effort to make a better future.

 

   It has been almost three months since my mom and I met that we kept talking about how we have been for quite a long time. Before we met, I told my mom that I would have a brief interview but didn't tell her a specific topic. When I asked her to tell me about the 5.18 Gwangju Democratization Movement, she seemed a little bit surprised as if she didn't expect a topic would be that event. But within a few seconds, she began talking. "It was 1980. I was 13 years old, just a young girl." She paused for a while, seemed like lost in thought and I waited quietly for her to continue. "One day, I heard that our school would be closed for a while and communication with the outside including a long-distance call was cut off. I didn't know exactly what was happening but intuitively I knew that something unusual was happening."

 

She explained that it was democratic uprising against Military Regime. Citizens gathered around Gwangju and the Chonnam area to fight against authoritarian government. There was a sad look on her face when she added, "Violence was rampant. Military forces indiscriminately attacked so many civilians and at least 600 people died." She said that although she was not at the scene at that time since she was living in a rural area remote from a city, she could feel the whole country was very depressing.

 

Suddenly I was curious of what my father was doing at that time. Thus I asked my mom, "How about father? Did he join the demonstration?" She sighed and answered me, "I guess he was 20 years old back then. Younger than you now. He once told me that he had to hide in a mountain at night since the army often stormed into houses unexpectedly and captured innocent university students." I was so shocked that I forgot what to say for a moment. I couldn't imagine how it would be when people couldn't have the freedom we have now. "So, how did the demonstration end?", I asked. She smiled bitterly saying, "Despite our struggles, the military government remained in power. However in 1987 once again, the 6.10 Democracy Movement began."

 

I asked my mom to tell me more about it. She explained to me that people arose against two tragic events that a college student named Lee Han-yeol was shot by a tear bomb when he was protesting at the front gate of Yonsei University and Park Jong-Chul died in the middle of an interrogation by waterboarding. "I also joined the demonstration. Time passed and I was 20 years old at that time. Just started university." , mom said. I was astonished that my mom was at the crucial moment of our nation's history. I asked her how different it was when she was 13 years old and when she was 20 years old. Leaning back in chair, she once again seemed to be lost in deep thought.

 

 She said she couldn't do anything when she was 13 years old but things were different in 1987. "I believed that younger generation should take the lead to bring democracy. Can you imagine covering your eyes with plastic wrap?" I asked her back, "What? Plastic wrap?" "Right. Since the army bombed the road with tear gas to disperse the crowds, we should cover our eyes and also put toothpaste around nose and mouth, not to smell the gas." I asked her if she wasn't afraid of. Then mom replied, "Of course I was terrified, but I thought that courage doesn't mean an absence of fear but courage is to know what is more important and precious."

 

Before the interview, personally I had some doubts if we can ever bring change about Korea's current state of affairs. However through the interview with my mom, I became confident that the collective power of people can bring significant change from the bottom as my mother's generation struggled calling for true democracy. I hope I can also tell the historical story and prove the power from the bottom one day when future generations ask me how it was in 2016 South Korea Protests.

 

2 comments:

  1. Plan for revising_201502643 Lee Ji Won

    Since the interviewee was my mom, it was easy for me to conduct the interview. Although the interview was not conducted according to the list of questions I prepared, I could draw many information from my mom. If I have a chance to do the interview again, I would search some basic information of the topic in advance. The reason is that I can ask more about the details of the topic or event, rather than asking an explanation of the information which can be searched on the internet.

    What I liked most of my essay when I heard it being read aloud was that I wrote many quotations of my mom that vividly described the event. I’m not quite sure if I used too many quotations, so I would get a feedback from peers and revise my essay if there are too many quotations.

    Plus, I think readers might curious about how the 6.10 Democracy Movement ended. So I will add an explanation on that and also I should think more about connection between the interview and the central idea of my essay. It would be better to add one more paragraph before the last paragraph to explain how the 6.10 Democracy Movement ended and naturally draw the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 201502384 LeeSooKyung

    As I read your essay, I realized the importance of effort to struggle with unjustifiable events for better future. From this perspective, I liked your essay to make readers know about the democracy movements. Because you wrote about the interview in a specific way, I could understand whole of your writings exactly. In my opinion, the sentence ‘I also believe that it is meaningful to know the spirit of the past and learn how to overcome the difficulty of the present generation from the past, especially in this hard time’ could be the thesis statement. The reason is that I thought you could deliver what you think the most important thing through this sentence. The part of your quotation, "The past is intelligible to us only in light of the present; and we can fully understand the present only in light of the past" was really effective for me. It attracted me to read your writings! There were the right number of quotations in your essay so I could read it interestingly. However, I thought it would be better if you add some more about what you learned from the interview. I mean it need to be explained more about your own thought, not just the content of the interview. Overall, your essay was really interesting:)!

    ReplyDelete