Thursday, December 1, 2016

Subin Lee / Life History Interview First Draft / Thurs 1-3pm

My mom is the person who knows me and understands me better than anyone else in the world. This is why I feel comfortable being with her. She is a fun person to spend time with, and a great cook. She loves her children and always gives what's best for us. She is a great friend and a wonderful mother. I can never imagine anyone else being my momcould this be why I take her love for granted? Ironically, despite her being the one whom I spent most of my life with, I couldn't proudly say that I know everything about her. This thought led me to ask her a few questions that I had never actually cared to ask for all these years.

 

"Mom, what kind of student were you when you were young?" I asked. My mom looked up at me from a cup of coffee she had been drinking. "A question all out of a sudden! Why do you ask? Is it for homework or something?" She teased. Dang, she knew me too well. "Yeah," I replied sheepishly. "But I am really curious about how you were at school. Were you anything like me or Chaeeun?"

 

           Mom, looking thoughtful, answered my question. "I am pretty much the same with how I used to be then". My mom, a cheerful person to hang out with, had lots of friends at school. She still contacted them every now and then. She was the center of her large circle of friends. She told me her memories at school. She laughed as she recalled a memory of the time she got scolded by her teacher because she went out to buy snacks with her friend in self study session. I laughed. It was amusing to hear her recollections, yet also surprising. I had never realized the obvious fact that she was a young, lively girl once. She wasn't born a mother. All the memories she told me were blissful ones. I told her that I was glad that she had spent a happy time as a child.

 

"So there is nothing you would change about your life then, if you could go back?"

Mom smiled slightly at my remark. "Of course there are some things I wish would have been different," the tip of her finger touched lightly along the cup she was holding. Mom seemed to be lost in mind. "I had to give up several things that I wanted to do."

 

           Born in a poor family as a fourth child among five siblings, mom often had to give up things she wanted. Some were trivial little things as watching a show that her brother likes instead of a show she wanted to watch. Others she had given up were some important issues that could have changed her life and the way of living. In her teens mom had marked out for artistic senses. Her friends always asked her to draw something for them, and her teachers complimented her. Mom herself enjoyed drawing and painting as well. She wanted to study art. However, art study was costly, and mom knew that it would be impossible for her parents to pay for it while making a living for the family. Moreover, her older sister was taking private lessons for her exams. There was no money to spare. Mom had to put her dreams aside.

 

As I listened to mom, I recalled the time when I was a young kid. I had loved to draw and paint, and was quite good at it. Mom was always pleased whenever I gave her my piece of drawing. She signed me up for an art class, which I enjoyed attending. Now I only draw for fun, but mom had also told me a few years ago that if I had said that I wanted to study art professionally, she would have supported me as far as she could.

 

"That isn't the end," Mom said, interrupting my thoughts. "After I graduated from college, I studied English. I loved learning a new language. Back then, not many people could speak English, and I enjoyed being a bridge between Korean and English. It was the one thing that I could proudly announce that I can do better than others. I wanted to study abroad, to study English further and to learn about the world."

 

           But again, money was the problem. What she had earned from her company wasn't enough to allow her to study abroad. Her family's economic situation didn't get any better. When mom was troubled about this, her father, my grandfather whom I have never met, told her that he would finance her studies, and told her to go. Mom was surprised, but she already knew what she should do. She gave up studying abroad. She couldn't bear to put more burdens on her family.

 

"Nevertheless, I was really thankful that my dad supported my dream." Mom smiled lightly. I gave her a smile, too. "Because I know how it feels to give up your dream because you cannot afford it, I made myself a promise to support my children's dreams as much as I can." Mom told me that this encouraged her and dad to make money. She didn't want her children to give up what they want to do because of money, just like she had to.

 

           Mom had always encouraged me and my sister to go on and do what we wish to do. She told me she has enough money to support me if I want to study abroad, or study further at a graduate school. She would assure me, "That's what we earned money for."

 

I had thought that what she tells me was just a lecture to make me study. Before today, I had felt uncomfortable and burdensome when she said such things. I never realized what was behind such words. Mom was caring for me more than I had ever known. She had been supporting me to pursue my dream no matter what.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked how your essay was easy to read in general. I could really see where you were trying to take this essay. I especially loved your first paragraph, which explained why and how you decided to interview your mother.In your fifth paragraph, I think you meant to say "she was lost in thought" instead of mind. It's really a minor thing though :) I did not feel that any of your essay was unclear, but I think your essay will be much better with more descriptions about perhaps your mother's expression.

    However, I found it difficult to understand your thesis. I think you meant to talk about your mother's love, and how much it affected your life. Clarifying this, I believe, will make this essay even more fluent.

    I really loved the part where you first ask your mother the question to start the interview:
    "'A question all out of a sudden! Why do you ask? Is it for homework or something?' She teased. Dang, she knew me too well."
    I think this was very effective because it shows your relationship with your mother.

    I thought that the use of quotations in your essay was extremely appropriate. I did not have problems understanding your essay. You directly quoted in the important places like "That's what we earned money for", which magnified how important the line was to you.

    I think this will be better if you can make your thesis more prevalent throughout the essay. Loved reading your paper!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writer’s Plan for Revising

    1. Conducting this interview wasn’t tough. Because I interviewed my mom, I was comfortable throughout the whole interview. However, because both of us were too relaxed, the topic sidetracked a few times. This caused the overall interview to last longer than expected. If I were to do the interview over, I would then focus on asking more questions and try to respond more to what mom says in order to draw more memories of her life.

    2. The opening part of my essay is what I like most about it; how I have organized the opening has managed to make it flow more naturally. I think I also managed to convey the comfort I feel when I’m with mom and the importance of her existence in my life.

    3. I think I have used too little connective words to link two sentences. The lack of such words made my essay sound choppy and broken at some points. I shall remind myself to use more of these words when I write my next draft. Another thing I should revise is in the latter part. I don’t think the readers will be able to understand what I truly meant, which is this: my mom used to say that I should go on and do anything I want to do and be anything I want to be, as she will support me no matter what it takes. I, having heard this too often, felt this burdensome and uncomfortable because I was worried that I might not be much of a great person that I thought my mom wanted me to be. However she did not say such words to give me a heavy heart, but to encourage me to not resist in doing what I can do.
    In my next draft I shall clarify this part to make my essay more complete.

    201502398 Subin Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you interviewed your mom and get to know her better and the part where your mom said "A question all out of a sudden! Why do you ask? Is it for homework or something?" I could hear somehow my mom saying this quotation and thought that you and your mom are very close to each other, like you explained in the beginning. Also, this seems like the most effective direct quotation, too.

    I thought that it would have been better if you ended the essay with a more thorough thesis because it felt like it ended before a conclusion was given.

    It was also a little bit hard to understand your main point of the essay, but I think you wanted to say how you now more understand why your mom told you to do what you wish to do.

    Furthermore, it might have been better to add more quotations to show direct feelings of the speakers.

    Lastly, clearly making your thesis and wrapping up in the end with more direct wording would make your essay better. I enjoyed reading your essay!


    201503676 Hong Chae-ryoung

    ReplyDelete