Thursday, November 24, 2016

Sangeun Baek/Meaningful Place/Thu 1-3 pm

             When I was in Aberdeen, Scotland, I used to live in a house that had a garden at the front. Technically, it was the "front," but my family always used the back door because it was closer to the street, so it felt more like a big backyard. I have always wanted a two-story house with a garden, so that house was like my dream house. The street I lived in was full of houses like mine. The houses even looked all alike.

             My garden was surrounded by fairly high walls, to divide our house from other houses, and little trees and flowers. There was green grass growing on the soil. A gardener regularly came and cut the grass. Whenever I went to the garden for some air and breathed, I could smell the grass and flowers. I felt the soft soil under my shoes. It was cold in Aberdeen, so I didn't come out to the garden often. I especially liked it in spring and winter. Flowers bloomed in spring. The only bad thing was that there were too many bees. In winter, the garden became completely white when it snowed. The year I moved into that house, it didn't snow often, which was a bad thing for me. I liked watching it quietly snow in the garden. It felt like Christmas.

             Once, when I was walking back home, there was a cat following me. It was small and white overall, with irregularly shaped brown patterns. I didn't know whether it was a street cat or someone was raising it, so I let it follow me and just let it to the garden. From then, sometimes when I looked out the window at the garden, I would see the cat walking gracefully around the garden or on the wall surrounding the garden. I guessed that the cat must be being raised by someone, because its fur was always clean and it had a necklace around its neck.

             Whenever people visited my house, we had a barbecue party in the garden. It was always quiet in the garden, but the party always made everything come to life. We took out the grill from the garage, and we cooked pork and beef and sausages and vegetables. The taste of smoked meat always impressed me. My dad wasn't very good with using the grill at first because of the wind, but eventually he became better. I preferred staying inside, but I liked having people come over and have this party.

             The garden was one of the places that represented my impression of Aberdeen. Quiet, cold air, the smell of grass. I know I won't be able to go back there. I really wish I would be able to live in a house with a garden like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment