Monday, October 17, 2016

Hong Chae-ryoung/Character Sketch Essay First Draft/Thursday 1-3pm

My Brother, the Energizer

 

            My brother is an energizer; he hardly ever gets tired or exhausted. He loves moving around and chatting all day long. In fact, almost the only voice that our family can hear in the house is my brother's, and he definitely is the human vitamin in the house. I miss his laughing and giggling sounds these days, since my brother lives with my mom and dad in Singapore at the moment.

            Everyone says that my brother has grown up with his face looking exactly the same since he was a little baby. Some of his photographs from when he was a baby show how he has grown up so far- it literally looks like someone has stretched out his arms and legs, but not touching his head at all.

            He is seven years younger than me which also means that I remember almost every single thing of him from the day he was born. Since the day he was born, I realized right away that he does not look like me; I am almost the female version of my dad, but my brother looks like a mixture of my mom and dad. He has single eyelid eyes, more of the Asian eyes, while I mine are double eyelid. However, his eyes are quite big, considering the fact that his eyes are single eyelid. Whenever he smiles or laughs, his smiles are shown directly in his eyes. The two eyes look like upside-down alphabet 'u's, and the pupils of his eyes are not shown at all. The dark brown curly hair is also a mixture of my mom and dad, while my straight and dark brown hair is exactly the same as my mom's. It has been quite long now that he had caught up my height; he is now officially the tallest in the house, shooting up every day, being taller than my dad. Furthermore, his is thin but fit, barely any unnecessary body fat is found in his body. However, this is not that surprising at all because he just loves to run around everywhere. "Can you not just sit down and stay still for 10 minutes?", my mom would often scold him not to run around the apartment, but the nag is not effective most of the time.

            This active and outgoing characteristic of him naturally led him to love sports, especially basketball. He would play basketball with his friends all day long in the blazing heat of Singapore, nevertheless he always gets soaked in sweat. Then he would come home around dinner time and start watching NBA games on Youtube, getting hyper and excited yet again, completely being immersed in the game. His passion towards basketball continues in collecting his basketball shoes. He adores his collection of basketball shoes; the collection of shoes are babies to him. He takes such good care of them.

            Many other people see my brother as such lovely boy who loves to entertain others. He definitely is the type of person who performs perfectly on stage and enjoys being in front of many people. One of his talents is to imitate other people and make people laugh- especially imitating specific accents. He is really good at copying some movie characters as well, whether they are animated ones or not. The confidence that he has within himself is amazing and he really wants to be perfect when he is in front of the audience. Although I cannot understand completely how he is such a brilliant entertainer on stage, but I can tell that he is an extrovert, which he gains energy from other people.

            Nevertheless, my brother does have a weak point, which is being afraid of staying home alone. "Can you come home early today?", he would call and ask me, when mom out with her friends from time to time. I truly feel that the young boy has really grown up looking at his physical growth, but then I change my thoughts right away and think he still is a baby whenever I get a phone call from him asking me to come home early. I guess no other people would ever imagine him being afraid of being home alone, but this is the real characteristic of him as the youngest in the house, and I cannot just resist adoring this sweet little boy. He would always be a lovely young boy to me; it is so hard to imagine him growing up even more and becoming an adult one day.

1 comment:

  1. 201502643 Lee JiWon

    To sum up what your brother is like based on your writing, I would say he is like a beagle. Firstly, just like beagle loves to run, your brother loves moving around and chatting all day long, being hardly ever exhausted. Secondly, he is so active like beagle that he loves sports, especially basketball. Lastly, just like beagle makes people joyful, your brother also entertain other people by imitating some other people and make them laugh. Your description of him such as his appearance like his height, his face that looks like a mixture of your mom and dad is very detailed. Also you gave the reader many details about what he does such as playing basketball or being on stage, which allow reader to guess how extrovert he is. Though you didn’t use direct quotation of what other people say about your brother, you mentioned that many other people see your brother as a lovely boy and I believe it’s still enough to describe him without any direct quotation. I loved the direct quotation of what your brother said in the last paragraph. The sentence “Can you come home early today?” allows the reader to understand your feeling that he still is an adorable young boy to you. There wasn’t any thing that I couldn’t understand but it would better for you to make the sentence “it literally looks like someone has stretched out his arms and legs, but not touching his head at all” more clear for those who might get confused. I believe the reason you chose to describe your brother is that you know much about him and because he is a meaningful person to you. Maybe in your next draft, you could add how your brother think about you or some episodes between you and your brother. I really enjoyed reading your essay!

    ReplyDelete