Monday, October 31, 2016

Lee Ji Won/ Task 4.2&4.4 / Thursday 1-3 pm

201502643 Lee Ji Won

 

Task 4.2

 

*Some notes I wrote down immediately after I opened my eyes

: Orchestra music, conversation between people, laughing voice of my nephew, light smell of scented candles on table, silk fabric, no taste

 

On Sunday, I went to Hotel ICC which is located in Daejeon to go to my cousin's wedding. I was so cold waiting for my family outside in the freezing weather, but after I took a seat in a wedding hall and closed my eyes listening to a slow and soft orchestra music, I could calm myself. I felt like the beautiful melody is making my body warm just as when I drink a cup of hot chocolate. At the same time, various voice of people filled the wedding hall and especially hearing my baby nephew gurgling, I could just imagine a lovely dimple on his face that appears when he smiles. Also the natural and subtle fragrance of scented candles on each table played a role in making a lovely atmosphere. Meanwhile, I could feel a silky texture of a wedding tablecloth whenever I slightly moved. I couldn't feel any sense related to taste during a few minutes when I closed my eyes.

 

 

Task 4.4

 

Place: My dormitory room (room number 314)

Sight: Two bunk beds / Giant teddy bear doll / Piles of clothes (laundry) on the floor / Our school uniforms on hangers / Windows decorated with photos of university campus and logo

Sound: Snoring sound of one of my roommates / My friends and I talked in whispers / Tick of the clock / The corridor echoed with a shouting of housefather

Smell: Aroma of fabric conditioner / Smells of chocolate cookie and noodle that we secretly ate

Touch: Cold wind blowing through a small gap in windows / Hard floor with the heat on / Soft blanket / Fluffy pillow

 

At the start of my second semester when I was a junior in high school, I moved to a new dorm room and met three new roommates. A sweet floral fragrance of fabric conditioner always filled the air of our room and whenever I opened the door, my roommate's giant teddy bear doll at the top of bunk bed always caught my eye. Our room was always messy with piles of laundry on the floor, but the only thing that was neatly organized was our school uniforms on hangers. While one of the roommates went to bed early every night, other two roommates and I chatted for hours at night. We used to giggle quietly because the snoring sound of that sleeping roommate was quite funny.

We had to secretly eat snacks and noodles because it was not permitted to bring any food or drink inside the dormitory. A whiff of spicy noodle was really mouth-watering. After having our own late-night snack party, we lied vertically on the hard floor and began chatting. Although a wind blowing through a small gap in windows was a little bit cold, because of ondol (Korean traditional heating system), our back became warm in an instant moment. We talked in whispers, covering ourselves with a soft blanket and resting our head on a fluffy pillow. We used to talk about how the day was or about our dream universities. We encouraged ourselves to enter one of Korea's top universities in Seoul, decorating windows with beautiful pictures of various university campuses and logos. When a corridor echoed with a shouting of housefather, we hold our breath pretending to sleep. Then the only sound in our room was a tick of the clock. I loved small pleasures that came from these repeated daily school life.

 

1 comment:

  1. As I read your descriptive writings, I could imagine the atmosphere of the place you described very vividly. I like the sentence such as 'I felt like the beautiful melody is making my body warm just as when I drink a cup of hot chocolate'. The reason is that I felt as if I was in the place where you were, reading this part. However, I would like to suggest you to describe more about how you felt warm when you heard the melody. For example, to add some specific expressions with the taste of hot chocolate will make your writing imaginative!

    201502384 LeeSooKyung

    ReplyDelete