Saturday, October 8, 2016

LeeSooKyung/People Watching/Thursday 1-3p.m.

It started off like just another normal day of the week until a smallish man came to the first subway car where I usually take. His clothes with lots of dazzling colors were peculiar enough to catch my attention. The wrinkles at the corners of his eyes forming every time he makes a smile told me his age. Maybe he was as old as my father, I guessed. However, I noticed his face wear a wry smile.

Carrying his box full of odds and ends, he stopped in the middle of the aisle. Although he was wearing ridiculously, he seemed like any other vendor selling something broken too easily except a sign around his neck. "Please take a few minutes for my daughter.", the writing on the sign was uneven but scrupulously neat.

"I have a daughter who is the apple of my eye.", he hesitantly opened his mouth finally. "However, such adorable girl is struggling against congenital leukemia even right now and I'm here to see my daughter's radiant face as soon as possible.", he added. Tears in his eyes, he took an orgel, a music box, out of his bag. "Before the disease deteriorated, she loved playing with it. So I decided to make the favorite item of my daughter by myself in order to pay for hospital treatment by selling it." In other words, an orgel was the result of the hope for his daughter. He was not just a vendor but a father who can do everything for his precious treasure, his daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment