Monday, October 17, 2016

Su Yeon Kim/ Character Sketch First Draft/ Thursday 1-3pm

There are only a handful of people I can confidently say that I truly love and my best friend, Taniah, is one of them. She is my longest friend of almost 9 years and counting. I suppose like any other normal friendship we started off with common interests but this bloomed into something more. When you get to know someone for so long, you start to notice the things that make them so special. It's easy to be friends with Taniah because she loves everyone and everyone loves her but it's the details that matter. I cherish the little things that only I knew about her such as her little Orlando Bloom cutout in her purse or the fact she used to call her grey bag Christian because of the book 50 Shades of Grey, yes, she loved those explicit romance novels, particularly Mills and Boons. For whatever reason (maybe because of the price), she literally would not let her bag touch the floor. She was so bent on safeguarding the bag from getting dirty, despite knowing it was inevitable, that she even got a special chair for it. She loves chicken pie and lamington cake. She dies laughing over weird comic strips found in newspapers and is quite a believer of horoscopes (she's a Taurus). Her favorite holiday is Christmas and loves Disney movies. Her favorite kinds of movies, however, are fantasy ones such as The Lord of the Rings. She was always quoting lines by her favorite character Smeagol particularly "My precious" or "Nasty little hobbitses." She is Catholic but she is also very sceptic about religions in general. Back before we became friends I knew her as the girl everyone loves. She was and still is a very loveable person with her chubby stature and curly, dark brown hair which she used to style with a navy blue bandana. She has a small round scar below her right eye which she got from a dog bite. Interestingly enough, that dog bite didn't traumatize her and to this day she fawns over dogs. She has slightly crooked teeth but it never stopped her from flashing one of the brightest smiles I know. Additionally, she always had perfectly groomed eyebrows even back when nobody knew that eyebrows could be shaped. She was definitely a trendsetter. She is of Fijian-Indian heritage and she would always get annoyed when people questioned her mixed heritage even though it was relatively common. I distinctly remember her raging when she was filling out a form for a survey at school. We had to check our nationality and the options were either Fijian, Indian, Chinese or Other. She said, "I don't get it. How is it that they don't provide other options? Not everyone is one thing." She was right because I had to tick myself under the 'Other' column. This is when I realized we could be friends. She questioned things that I would usually just overlook.

Our first 2 years of friendship was that of a simple one where you basically just sit together during recess and lunch. I had moved to a new school when I was in 4th grade and that's when I first met her because we were in the same class. We didn't become friends until early 7th grade. Also, when we did finally become friends we were much too young to have deep conversations about anything so our conversations were either about what to buy from the cafeteria or celebrities. This obviously changed as we grew older, her insights about the world are so profound at times that I really think she should voice them for other people. She isn't very chatty or straightforward because she utterly despises arguments or conflicts. This frustrated me due to the fact that she never really fought for what she thought was right and was at times a pushover. She was very careful with what she voiced and would always add "But I don't know for sure! It's just my opinion, you don't even have to listen to me!"

Even though she doesn't voice her opinions, Taniah is very expressive about making a statement with her fashion. She has distinct likes and dislikes. Because her favorite color was orange, she always sported something orange on her even though it was against school rules. Her sporting orange was always very subtle but this rebellious side was what I liked. If I had to choose two things she's obsessed with it's the boyband One Direction and glitter. We were desk mates back in school but her love of glitter almost drove me away. She was absolutely resolved on putting glitter all over her body and I would face the aftermath. Glitter on me, my books and desk. It made her feel pretty so I never said anything. One more important thing that bothered me when we were desk mates was that she was left-handed. While writing notes our elbows always bumped and she would declare, "Su, please, respect my space when I'm trying to write." I was flabbergasted because majority of the world is right-handed and she would claim that I was in the wrong. Taniah is the one who got me into scents. I always liked perfume but I've become obsessed with them since the day she told me, "Su you smell like cupcakes. I know you're nearby when I smell cupcakes." It then became our thing where we would try to recognize people by their scent. She would be taken back to a memory when she smelled something familiar. Out of the many things I enjoyed sitting next to her throughout my high school years, it's her love of singing. She wasn't one of those people that enjoyed singing but sounded like a dying horse. She genuinely has a beautiful, clear voice. She was the class radio. Not only that but she was like a people magnet. Wherever she sat, people would gather around her. She claims she's anti-social but it was the polar opposite.

She is also very smart, perhaps not academically but just as a person. She was a cultured person. I was a very negative and explosive person back in high school but her positive ways really changed me. She never blamed anyone for anything and never complained. I would always dump my troubles on her and she would listen but she never did the same to me. She would suffer alone and only when she was done dealing with whatever issue on her own she would tell me what had happened. She is also a foodie, she loves to eat but when our friends put together our lunches and dug in, she was always shy and ate very little. Another thing is that while I know she tries to be very cautious with gifts and personal items, she was helpless. Many a times I was hurt because she either lost or somehow damaged whatever I gave her. Being the apologetic person she is, she would say sorry a million times but the damage was done. I never got angry with her for that but I guess it's just something I don't understand but simply came to accept. Another thing I love about her is that she laughed at my jokes. Actually, because she was such a happy person she cracked up at everything but she understood my humor and for a nerdy, awkward Asian kid that I was, it meant a lot. For the record, her laugh was contagious because it was a snorty type of laugh. She is very approachable and her being friends with me attracted a lot of other people. Eventually our friend group expanded but of course, she and I remained especially close. I'm so grateful to have met such a bubbly person and thanks to state-of-the-art technology, still have her in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Final

    My Sister from another Mother

    Taniah, my longest friend of almost 8 years and counting, is the sister I never had. In the 8 years of friendship, I have discovered peculiarities of her character that I’m certain only a handful of people in this world know about. When I was in 4th grade I had just moved to a new school and she was in my class. It was a large class of about 40 students and strangely enough, we had never crossed paths until early 7th grade. Mostly because she sat on the other side of the classroom from me and she was preoccupied with her own group of friends. While most people in middle school throughout high school made every effort to hide their insecurities, Taniah was different. Taniah was on the chubbier side but she radiated with confidence. When someone teased her about her weight she would respond in her sassiest manner, “Don’t worry girl. I know you want to be me.” She had tanned skin, a round face, perfectly groomed eyebrows, and glistening chocolate brown eyes with perfectly curled eyelashes. She also had very curly dark brown hair which was characteristic of her Indian-Fijian heritage. It was her most beloved feature so she took extreme care of it. Some days she would style her hair with a navy bandana and on other days she had her hair in a neat bun. Additionally, she would never give up an opportunity or excuse to place flowers in her hair. She has a small round scar about the size of peanut below her right eye which she got from a dog bite. Interestingly enough, that incident didn’t traumatize her and to this day she fawns over dogs. She generally had soft face features but her smile was wide and curvy like that of a cat and it gave the impression of a permanently etched smile.

    If there’s one thing I remember from the years I’ve spent as her desk mate in high school, it’s that she found humor in everything. Many a times, we would get reprimanded for giggling too much during class. Her witty sense of humor filled with pop culture references never failed to crack someone up. Even her laugh was contagious because it was a snorty type of laugh. Of her pop culture references, what I loved most was when she quoted lines from movies like The Lord of the Rings. Her favorite character was Smeagol and she did an impeccable impersonation which she used whenever she wanted to lift the class mood. All in all, her easy-going and down to earth personality made her very approachable and her being friends with me attracted a lot of other people. Eventually our friend group expanded but of course, she and I remained especially close.

    Another thing I was able to observe as her desk mate of 3 years, she was a very organized person. She had a whole system for the way she arranged school books, from subjects to size and she reorganized them at least twice a day. She was also one of those people that gave names to everything, in our junior year of high school she named her new striped, grey bag Christian because of the book 50 Shades of Grey (which was very popular at the time). For whatever reason, she was so bent on safeguarding the bag from filth that despite knowing getting the bag dirty was inevitable, she got a special chair for it. Furthermore, maybe because she believed in horoscopes and in a way acted on them, I felt as though her sign provided as excellent description of her personality. One day, during exam period I stated how stress-free she looked and her reply was, “Well duh. It’s because I’m a Taurus. I never stress, I’m always chill.” Back when newspapers were the more popular means to get the news, the first thing she would do is pore over the daily horoscope section to see her fortune of the day. Without asking, she always relayed my sign’s fortune as well. One time I questioned her belief of horoscopes being that she was Catholic. This was when I actually began to find out about her values and philosophies, if I can call it that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “I believe there is a God but I also believe in people. There’s a reason why everyone always believe in different things and it’s because people look comfort in different things whether real or not. I don’t see why I need to choose one thing to believe when many things give me comfort.”
    I was in awe. It was probably from then I would incite weird abstract conversations about the world with her. Her insights about the world were so profound at times that I wished she should voice for other people. She never asserted her ideas or forced them on anyone which was probably why she was so well-liked by everyone. Taniah was a peacemaker, she utterly despised arguments or conflicts so she would be the first to back down despite knowing she was in the right. In fact, even when she disapproved of gossiping she wouldn’t say so because she didn’t wish to cause strife with the gossiper. So she remained tight-lipped about things, never blamed anyone for anything, and never complained because she hated the idea of bothering people. She was very careful with what she voiced and would always provide a sort of disclaimer with, “But I don’t know for sure! It’s just my opinion, you don’t even have to listen to me!” However, because she was such a fantastic listener, she became our unofficial class counselor. Many classmates including myself would always turn to her to unleash burdens on her and she would give her advice and view on the matters. The only problem with this was that when she was facing an issue, she would always suffer alone and only when she was done dealing with it on her own she would tell me what had happened.

    Not only was she our counselor but was also our personal radio. Out of the many things I enjoyed sitting next to her throughout my high school years, it was her love of singing. She wasn’t one of those people that enjoyed singing but sounded like a dying horse. She genuinely has a beautiful, clear voice. During recess or lunch time, she would burst into songs, getting everyone to sing along with her. This had a meritorious effect of bringing the class together. In my point of view and I’m sure many who know her would agree, she encompasses the perfect balance of sass, thoughtfulness and fun. I’m so grateful to have met such a bubbly person and thanks to state-of-the-art technology, still have her in my life.

    ReplyDelete