Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Subin Lee / Character Sketch Essay First Draft / Thursday 1-3pm

Dora

Dora is a sunshine; she is one of the warmest person I know. She has a kind heart that cares about not only the things around her but the earth as a whole. I can say that Dora is the living definition of rightfulness. It is thanks to her that I learned to pay more attention to what is going on in the world we live in.

Dora Car is a gorgeous friend of mine from 7 years ago. Her fair skin glowed under the sun, as her light hazel eyes shined under her long eyelashes. Her oval face was a great match with her long neck. It was especially noticeable in PE classes, when she tied her hair up. She would give me a dazzling smile of apology whenever she gets me in a game of dodgeball. Her lean figure made her look great in jeans, although she got embarrassed whenever I tell her that. Dora had firm, piercing eyes which often gave the impression that she can see through others. It was one of the features that made her look somewhat cold and indifferent. Or maybe it's her compressed, thick lips that made her look so. However, everybody realized that such was a wrong judgement as soon as they got to know her. Dora was a charming girl, whose inner beauty is much more striking than her appearances.

Dora was like a nest that comforts others. My friends and I could always trust on her to give advice whenever we are troubled. She was like a true magician of words. Dora could turn any troublesome problems into nothing, she would give the perfect solution for it. A bad experience would seem trivial after she suggests a new perspective to look at it. When we thank her for her help, she would always grin and say "No problem." I could always feel at ease when she gave that smile. Dora was considerate of other people, and thought of others' problems as if they were her own.

Other people weren't just the thing that she cared about. Dora had a great interest in protecting the nature and animals that suffer from human selfishness. She always contemplated what she could do to be of help as an individual. As a part of it, she engaged in voluntary service at dog shelters and participated in Greenpeace programs. A single trash left in the streets would be picked up by Dora and be put into a bin. If anyone asked her why she put so much importance in such values, she would answer, "It is our responsibility to preserve this planet. I believe that my actions can help make the world a better place, no matter how little it may seem." She was mature and thoughtful than any of us in the same grade. Others must have agreed with this thought, too, as they often said "Dora, you are the only hope of our planet", "I don't know what I would've done if you weren't here to talk with!" Dora definitely had a beautiful personality.

           One remarkable feature of Dora was her hair. Dora had a broomstick in the place where her hair was supposed to be. She had an oatmeal hair which stood out in every direction. The fluffed hair made her head look twice as big. Her hair was thin, which was one of the reasons it was so frizzy. If you had seen her, you probably might have thought that she was on a bad hair day. Her crazy hair was the one thing that stood out the most; it didn't suit Dora at all. Yet, it is one of the most significant characteristic of her, and it was what made Dora herself. This probably explains why I miss her crazy hair so much.

Dora was a guiding star to me. I admired her beliefs and attitude towards others and the world. It is her that has influenced me to be more interested in the outside world. It reminds me of Dora whenever my friends compliment me for always trying to act in a right way. I miss her dearly, I would do anything to meet her again and thank her for how she has guided me.

1 comment:

  1. You did an excellent job on describing your friend. I had no problem picturing her in my head. More your words describing the physical features of your friend, I was amazed with your words describing her personality such as 'magician of words.' From reading you essay I can see that you have terse sentences compact with impact. Also, I believe you made good use of metaphors which aids readers in draw up the character in sync with your intentions. If I have to point out certain things, I think you could reorganize your paragraphs a little. For instance, when you're describing physical aspects, it might be better to stay consistent with it then move on to a new idea. Your second last paragraph felt sort of out of place after you had mentioned who she was a person. It would also be extra helpful if you had written about how exactly she was a 'magician of words', perhaps you could have given an incident which made you think so. Thank you :)

    -Su Yeon Kim 201500568

    ReplyDelete