Monday, October 31, 2016

Su Yeon Kim (201500568)/ Task 4.2 and 4.4/ Thurs 1-3pm

Task 4.2
As cliché as it may be, I love cafes. It is the perfect hang out spot for lazy people who want to enjoy a simple day out.
 
With winter approaching, I could barely feel my fingers or face from the biting wind so I sought cover in the closest café. As I walked through the door, immediately the familiar aroma of freshly roasted coffee beans filled my nose and a wave of warmth washed over me. I was also greeted by the chattering of people and soft instrumental music playing in the background.
 
I sunk into the plum cushioned armchair and felt completely at ease. My thoughts then wandered only to be startled out of it when I was notified that my coffee was ready with a vibrating devise. I eagerly returned to the counter and received my mug of coffee. As I settled down again I wrapped my hands around my coffee, I felt a tingle in my fingers as I tried to absorb all of its heat into my cold hands. After a few minutes of this, I lifted the mug to my lips and savored the bitter and smoky taste wash over my mouth. As I swallowed I felt the warmth of my coffee travel throughout my body.
 
The dim lights in the café, the music and people engaged in conversations while taking occasional sips from their white coffee cup makes me feel as though I'm in a painting. I could spend hours on end just sitting by the window sill table, inhaling the wonderful scent of my coffee and appreciating one of humankind's most enjoyable sensations of music.
 
Every once in a while when the music briefly stopped, people's murmuring overtook the café. I overheard parts of people's conversations, heard the clicking sound of photos being captured and even caught the sound the expresso machine whirring and releasing steam. While the café music was pleasing to the ears, the combination all these sounds were slightly overwhelming. I could barely make out what my friend was saying but it did not matter, I was warm and my overpriced coffee tasted wonderful. I wanted nothing more than to not think of anything and take pleasure of the serenity of cafés.
 
 
Task 4.4
Details:
·         Sight – metal gate, brick house, photos
·         Sound – rice cooker humming, radio
·         Smell – make up, food
·         Touch – pat on the back, embrace
 
The first home that I can remember is my grandparent's house from my dad's side. This house withholds my earliest childhood memories. Even now, my grandparents are still living there and it is the one place throughout my life that hasn't changed. Every detail about the neighborhood and house is the same now as it was 20 years ago.
 
There's a small alleyway and at the end of it was my grandparent's house. I remember being afraid of the alley as a young child because it wasn't very well lit so I would sprint to the gates with my eyes half-closed. Coming up to the house there's a huge metal gate which had a lock from the inside (this was before password locks were invented). So we would have to call out to my grandparents and let them know we arrived. I would feel really thrilled when I heard my grandfather's reply, "Oh you're here! Hold on let me get the door!" and it would be followed by the tapping from his walking stick. Then in a few seconds he would open the door and usher us in with the brightest smile while patting our backs.
 
Once I walked through the gate, the brick house which was always a familiar sight became clearly visible and there was a small space on the front lawn where the dog's house was. I was just as excited to see the dog as I was to see my grandparents. Outside the house smelled of soil and colorful flowers from the large, brown pot plants which my grandmother tended. I loved this earthy smell because it made me feel like I was in the village far from cities. In addition to the metal gate, the house had a metal door which had a massive dragon design carved into it. My grandparents had simple taste for things so I always thought the door was very out of character. Anyway, as soon as we enter the house, we would be immediately embraced by my grandmother who always smelled of light make up and food from cooking. Strangely, it was this scent that was very comforting to me rather the smell of the house because it's the scent which really reminded me of home. Additionally, apart from my grandmother's greetings there were various sounds that could be heard in the background. We could hear voices from the radio that was on 24/7 and the sound of the rice cooker humming.
 
The interior of the house is made of dark varnished wood which gave off the perfect antique atmosphere unachievable by modern apartments. On the four walls of the living room are four photos of our family smiling at us. Some were from my dad's childhood, some were more recent photos of my cousins and me. There were four rooms in the house which were all connected by the living room where we spent most of our time. The whole living room was bright even without turning the lights on because there was a huge glass window from which sunlight spilled in. Also, because the window was so large, the change in the seasons was so easily observed. During spring and summer, we could see the blooming of flowers and hear cicadas. While during fall and winter, we could see the leaves from the pot plants turn red and yellow and get enveloped in snow. There were flower patterned curtains on either side of the window but I had never seen them drawn. By the window is a mahogany red couch on which my grandfather used to sit and listen to the radio. There was a huge electrical mat which most, if not all, Korean families own and it was on this mat that we would eat, have conversations and even take naps. Due to the radio being on even at night, I remember I used to fall asleep to the ballads from the early 60s and 70s. More importantly, I used to wake up to the sound of my mother and grandmother cooking in the kitchen, chatting away while my grandfather would hum to the songs on the radio. There was never a time the house was completely silent and I loved that. It was and forever will be my home, my roots.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment