Monday, October 17, 2016

Su Yeon Kim / Task 3.3 and 3.4 / Thursday 1-3pm


3.3.3
My initial reaction to this essay was heartache for the writer because rain in the general sense indicates sadness. However, the more I thought about it, the clearer it became that the writer may actually not be feeling melancholy. The writer is simply describing 'he' as she remembers. The writer's use of metaphors do not give a sense of closeness as they hint at what kind of person 'he' was. For instance, the line that goes "He acted like the rain" definitely shows that 'he' is now a distant memory. Thus, I do believe the metaphors were incorporated into the essay suitably if the mood the writer wanted to create was that of reminiscence. Of course, the rain does not particularly remind her of the best memories but it definitely isn't one of resentment either. It feels more as though the writer was stating a fact about how things were and that although she has moved on, he will always be a part of her. This is so because rain will always remind her of him.
 
3.4.1
She is the straw to my berry, my Buzz to my Woody.
We're like birds of a feather.
My mother is like the soft morning light on a Sunday.
He and his thoughts are the galaxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment