Thursday, October 6, 2016

Yunji Kim / First Draft /Thursday 1-3 p.m.

My eyes automatically popped open before the alarm even rang. I looked out the window to guess what time it was. It was still dark outside with a little sunlight starting to peek in. I guessed I had had enough sleep and walked out to the kitchen. My mom was already preparing breakfast with a stiff face. She smiled at me when she saw me walk in, and it was the warmest smile I had ever seen in my whole life, although it looked somewhat awkward.

           "How was your sleep?" she said, in her warmest tone.

           I shrugged as I sat down to eat. I could feel the stiffness and tension in the atmosphere, and I could also feel the pathetic struggle of my family to loosen up the awkwardness.

           It was the day of my college entrance exam. I was never an anxious type of person, but even for me, the pressure was hard to cope with. The idea that this single day will decide the majority of my future was extremely stressful. My family also knew that, as they had gone through this big day as well, and they tried everything to keep me in my best condition. For months, my parents never scolded me or point out what I should fix and they just let me do whatever I wanted.

           On our way to the exam place, my mom and I both drove in nervous silence. I can never forget the last look of my mom before I went in to take the college exam. Her eyes were filled with tears as she was trying so hard not to cry. The whole atmosphere of the exam place was entirely different than I had expected. It was frustrating to see thousands of parents with the same look as my mom, waving hands to their children who had just turned around to take the exam they had been preparing for 12 years. This was the most shocking and important experience in my life when I witnessed the massive love and support of my family.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment