Tuesday, October 18, 2016

LeeSooKyung/Character Sketch Essay First Draft/Thursday 1-3p.m.

Lee Soo Kyung

< My Best Friend, Amy >

Every morning at 7 o'clock, my roommates and I heard the sound of footsteps, the door was opening, and a familiar voice. "It's time to go for breakfast. Hurry up!" she said in her lilting accent.

"Your voice is going through the roof of the room!" one of my roommates said, and laughed with us as always.

Just as the morning roll call ended, the girl came to my room every morning was my best friend, Amy. She only waited for the meal time. All of her classmates included me called her "Tiny glutton". Compared to her small build, she was a big eater. It might be more exact to say she ate almost everything in sight.

I met her for the first time when I was 8 years old. She had fine and silky short black hair. Also, her scarlet lips and pure white skin had impressed me. For her appearance, not only 'Matilda', but also 'the Snow White' came to my mind every time I saw her.

We attended same English academy, and took the same bus every day, but we were not the same class. For that reason, even though we didn't exchange any greetings, we knew each other already.

Then one day, she came to me and said "Hello. I'm Amy. What's your name?" with a friendly smile. She was very sociable and courageous even at the tender age of 8. I could not receive her kindness well at the moment because of my reserved character. However, we became great friends for each other since then. The reason is that we both moved to the same apartment, entered same middle school and same high school. We were even the same class during the whole high school days. These all things were too amazing to be just a coincidence.

As I lived with her for 3 years when we were in high school, my passive character was changed into a positive and enthusiastic one. She always created an atmosphere of cheerfulness by her characteristic smile and it was adorable enough to fascinate everyone. Also, it looked as if her eyes beaming with mischief are trying to say "Let's play with me". Maybe such her bright personality had the greatest effect on my life.

Now, even though we couldn't meet frequently, because she studied in Texas, the saying "Out of sight, Out of mind" doesn't work on our friendship. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your friend is a cheerful bright person who just makes you delighted whenever you see her. The lilting accent of her felt like I could actually hear it right now, the sociable characteristic from the day you first saw her and the fact that her brightness even makes your other roommate really shows what kind of person she is. I think you could add some more detail of how she looks and what other people say about her. Moreover, I would like to know more about how she is like when it comes to eating food, as I didn't quite understand what makes her to be called as 'tiny glutton'. I think you described this person because she is such a precious person in your life who even changed your characteristic. Lastly, I would like to ask you if there were any events or incidents that really showed her own characteristics, and maybe you could describe it with her quotations and actions as well as her looks to make it even more interesting and rich.

    201503676 Hong Chae-ryoung

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing well conveys the image and feeling you have about your friend. She seems like a friend that you truly treasure. I like the way you arranged the descriptions about her; the order in which you depict her was easy to understand as I read. To revise your work I think you can give more specific reasons to why Amy is called 'Tiny glutton'. Perhaps you can write more about her actions as she eats. It would be better to use more figurative expressions when you describe this friend of yours. I think metaphors and similes could add more color to your writing.

    201502398 Subin Lee

    ReplyDelete