Monday, October 31, 2016

Subin Lee / Task 4.2 & 4.4 / Thursday 1-3pm

Task 4.2

I practiced using my senses at the Express Bus Terminal on my way to Cheonan. As I sat outside the bus terminal to wait for my bus, I closed my eyes. Sound was the most evident sense of all. I heard numerous buses pulling in and out. 'Pi- pi- pi- pi-'the buses beeped as they pulled out, probably warning others to get out of the way. I knew that it was a departing one because the sound gradually died out in distance. The engines purred as the sharp sound of a whistle cut through the air. People walked here and there, sometimes dragging their baggage with them; often there were sound of wheels rattling along with footsteps. I could also eavesdrop on some phone calls. One thing that I did expect to hear was the sound of bus wheels, but to my surprise, it wasn't noticeable. I had also expected the smell of oil, nasty scent of grease. However, all I could smell was the cold evening air. It pierced through my nose as I inhaled deeply. The abrupt change in the weather made me shudder- I should bring some warm clothes on my way back to Seoul. The air was cold yet dusty. The feeling of dust particles lingered on my tongue, although I'm probably being over-conscious. The chair I was sitting on was cool with the weather, and it surprised me. It used to be unpleasantly warm in the hot summer days. When I grabbed the hard plastic chair, the thought that my bus would be due anytime soon hit my mind, so I opened my eyes.

 

Task 4.2 - 3) After rereading what I've written, I noticed that there are not many descriptions of senses other than sound. Maybe I could add some more information about how my thin coat felt, or how I could feel my hands getting colder, sitting outside. Explaining more in detail about how the dusty air felt in my mouth, and writing an additional smell that I could sense would be some ways to improve this work.

 

Task 4.4

1&2)

Extremely hot / greenery / sound of tourists / hot, stuffed air

 

3&4)

I had often wondered why it is that some Japanese friends I know have somewhat darker, tanned skin than Koreans do. Korea and Japan are both placed in East Asia, and have all 4 seasons. 'What could be so different?' This was the day I found the answers to that question. The blazing sun was literally burning your skin. There would be no way to prevent your skin from getting tanned if you were to live in the country during summer.

I was in Kyoto, a historical city full of cultural heritage, but all these didn't matter to me then. The surrounding greenery was refreshing, if not for the heat. The sun glinted through the leaves, and we could see a peek of the wooden pillars of Kiyomizudera. It was a sight that my friends and I have long looked forward to. However, the Glazing sun was cruel and had no mercy to let us to see the sights. The sun was pushing us down to the ground, and the ground reflected the heat back. I had never before thought that heat could kill. However, in the foreign country, my friends and I were dying of heat. What's worse is that we wearing yukata, as an aspect of cultural experience. The clothes which seemed unique and attractive an hour ago turned out to be something which we can't wait to take off. It hampered each and every step we take. What's more, the thin cloth constantly stuck to our skin. Because of the humid weather, we felt like the yukatas were picking a fight on us. Flipping it over when it sticks to our legs, we desperately searched for a place to sit down. The traces on my face felt cool when the sweats rolled down. Even talking was a luxury in the steaming hotness; the stuffy hot air made it hard to breath. I felt like it was dominating my lungs. The people around were endlessly taking photos and talked in elated voices. Their rowdy conversation hovered around us, and we dragged our legs to find a place away from it. Finally we found a spot under a roof, in the shadows. The three of us shared relieved glances and limped towards to sit down.

1 comment:

  1. 201502643 Lee Ji Won

    Firstly to talk about your writing about the bus terminal, your description of the terminal was so detailed that I felt like I myself was also there. Especially I liked your description of the sound of bus using onomatopoeic word 'Pi-pi'. As you wrote, to improve your writing I think adding details of smell, touch or taste is needed. But still the descriptions of hearing was really awesome!

    To talk about the next writing, after reading it I couldn't understand why Tokyo is important place to you. (The instruction on p.109 says to choose the place that was important to you) The overall description was detailed and especially I also felt like being in the middle of stuffy hot air. It would be better to describe the place with using senses of smell too!

    ReplyDelete